Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:22:58 -0500

Maybe where you live the local board had not yet adopted the newer NEC code?

Current NEC code does not allow for only 3 wire feeds from one building to
another. They require 4 wires.

> Neutral and ground are two separate conductors.

Neutral and ground are the SAME conductor in your 3 wire feed system. You do
have the neutral bonded to the panel in the shack as well as at the house
don't you? If you do not you have no path for a breaker to trip in case of a
fault!

> You are also ignoring inductance between these points you want to bond.

Of course inductance of long runs is a problem with lightning. But the NEC
still requires all grounds to be bonded.

73
Gary  K4FMX