[TowerTalk] Grounding with two separate feeds.

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding with two separate feeds.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:48:21 -0400
What happened to the Single point ground in the previous thread?
Also, induced voltages , which are the most common form of damage creators was ignored. Far more damage is done by voltage induced into wiring from nearby strikes than direct strikes. Yes on a strike by strike basis the direct hit wins, but there are far more nearby strikes than direct hits.

The house and shop have separate feeds from the power company, meters, grounds and panels. "HOWEVER" these feeds come from the same pole transformer. Ground through their neutral is well over 200 feet from shop, to pole, to house with ground rods at the shop, pole, and house

NOW, it gets sticky.
I have stations in the house and shop. Both stations (SO2R) use the same antenna system of multiple HF, and VHF antennas. There are also 3 runs of CAT5 between the house and shop. Currently there is one tower and two masts with a second tower to be added soon. The antennas have a large and elaborate ground system, making impossible to separate the grounds for the shop and house. There is a SPG panel at the coax entrance to each building although the one into the shop isn't finished.

As I've said a number of times, the system ground is a network consisting of 32, or 33 8' ground rods, CadWelded to over 600 feet of bare #2 Copper.

How do I ground all of this safely from a lightening, power company and my safety while not risking any equipment?

As I understand lightening is basically a rounded off square wave with each hit consisting of multiple strokes of varying intensity and frequencies. Each strokes contains a broad spectrum of RF which because of differing rise and fall times as well as inductance and capacitance, has its shape changed with distance and method of conduction. In any dwelling the arrival of the induced voltages should be well ahead of the conducted voltages In the small time frame we are looking at.

The only problems I've had are/were from that cat5/6 network.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Roger (K8RI)

---