[TowerTalk] FW: Hancock antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Hancock antennas
From: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:59:16 -0400
> "I had the rather dubious privilege of installing some 800MHz gear in
>the Sears Tower (or whatever they call it now).   Did not get to the base
>of the antennas, but the view from the roof top was spectacular, as was
>the wind.  Like some others, I could only watch the video for two minutes
>before my stomach said "STOP²!  Barry - W1HFN²

I was employed by RKO Radio in Chicago between 1983-85.  The main
transmitters (alternate/main) were at Sears; the standby was atop the
monopole on the Prudential Building.

Sunday night preventive maintenance at Sears was an interesting experience
during the spring months.  100+ floors up, the building moves about one
foot in high wind.  That¹s enough to see waves created in the cleaning
buckets we used to wipe down the transmitters.  Anyone sensitive to motion
sickness should not be up there on a windy day.

Access to the Sears rooftop was a lot easier pre-Sept. 11th.  Our employee
badges and elevator keys were enough.  Today, I believe there¹s a formal
procedure required for any roof access, even during emergencies.

Only one side of Sears has a smooth face from the top to the ground.  On
one occasion, we had a bit of fun taking photos by leaning out over the
top guard rail and took stunning shots of the entire face down to the
ground.  It was a trust thing where we each took turns anchoring the legs
of the guy reaching out for the photos.  Good thing the camera was
not dropped.

Paul, W9AC