Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Cad welding vs clamps

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Cad welding vs clamps
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:26:26 -0700
I'll take FORTRAN.

Kim N5OP

On Friday, October 24, 2014 8:14 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net> wrote:

On 10/24/14, 3:56 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> That depends on your soil conditions.  Some of us have shale, rock and/or
> hard clay making it impossible to push in a full 8' ground rod.
>

> From:    Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
> What would work if you bury it deep enough. I would believe 8 feet of strap
> buried 4 feet down should be equal to an 8 foot rod pushed down 8 feet.
>

> I do think it is less work to push the rod down than to dig a trench for the
> strap.

The code allows you to drive the rod at an angle.

>From an electrical standpoint, you don't need to bury the strap 8 feet
down.

IEEE 142-1999 Table 13 has formulas for all kinds of configurations of
rods, wires, straps and the like.  there's a new version from 2007 out.
If I get ambitious, I'll put some of the equations online, but they're
long series expansions, so a bit tedious.

Anybody have a preference.. as matlab/octave/fortran/c equations or as
Excel Spreadsheet formulas?