Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:50:16 +0000
I have a spreadsheet which does pretty much what Jim just described.

One thing that interested me when I started looking at the "best fit" equivalent-circuit values was that the value of C varied depending on the core material. In other words, you couldn't assume that 10 turns of a particular coax on a "240-size" core, say, would always give the same value of equivalent capacitance - it varies considerably depending on the core material.

I've not yet yet found a mechanism that will predict the variation in C to my satisfaction, but clearly a simple model based on inter-winding capacitance doesn't get close.

If we had a good way to predict C, predicting the CM impedance of a particular choke design would be relatively straightforward.

Steve G3TXQ