Re: [TowerTalk] Indicator wiper issues

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Indicator wiper issues
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 03:53:00 -0500
On 11/9/2014 2:05 AM, Tod wrote:

My thoughts:

I've seen two distinct problems with the same results.

#1 is the vibration already discussed and

#2, is a short oscillation of the antenna system back and forth. It takes very little wind. Just a light breeze for anything from a medium size tri-bander and larger. The more mass (antenna weight, element length, and boom length.) the easier it is for the oscillation to start which is counter intuitive. If there are more than a few feet of mast between the antenna and rotator, it can act as a torsion bar/spring to slow the period and add energy.

The more mass and the longer the mast, the longer the period of oscillation and the more power the entire system must handle when the direction reverses at the end of each half cycle and more movement in the rotator shell, but that is physically limited by the wedge, or gear train to a few degrees.

The longer that mast, the easier it is to start the oscillation and the lower the frequency.

Both cause a small and repeated movement over a small area causing wear and both are almost continuous except for very calm periods.

If the rotator is not used a lot, if possible the parked position should be changed every few days. I think that rotators used regularly would be less likely to suffer this problem unless they were always parked on the same heading as into the prevailing winds. So there is a down side to where you park the antenna(s)

Just a few thoughts,

73

Roger (K8RI)

I have seen this too. Steve's analysis is the same one I came too. You have to
somehow eliminate or at least dampen the vibration.

Tod, K0TO

Sent from my iPad air