Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] A4S questions/INFO

To: Yuri <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] A4S questions/INFO
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:09:28 -0800
I have an A4S, used for Field Day. The tuning - element lengths and spacings are critical - so check and recheck them, something may have slipped. You won't get accurate measurements of swr at 7' off the ground, probably 25' height is needed. I also have to be at least 50' from my steel shop to have it work ok when up 45' on a pneumatic Will-Burt mast. The driven element insulator deteriorates from UV (FR4 tube) so replacing it with a new solid rod may help. If the trap rubber boots are cracked you can get new ones from MFJ at a reasonable price. Are all of the trap drain holes pointing down?

There are some other mechanical improvements I've made in the boom and element clamps I sleeved the boom at the mast clamp, it is very easy to flatten it. Same for a couple of the elements inside and outside sleeves after an overly enthusiastic FD assembler flattened the element center. I cut out the damaged center and sleeved about 18" so now they are triple wall.

The stamped element to boom clamps can be improved as the elements always seemed to get skewed when it was permanently installed in a high wind environment.. They tend to splay out, so I drilled them for a stainless 6-32 machine screw and nut on both sides of the boom to prevent that from happening. You can get 3' lengths of tubing from DX Engineering in the sizes needed. My boom filled with water so I notched the caps for a small drain hole, too small for wasps etc.

Grant KZ1W