Re: [TowerTalk] 402CD

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 402CD
From: Roger Cooke G3LDI <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:20:00 +0000
Hi.

Many thanks to all who replied. I have kept all the emails and it looks like there are a couple of
possibilities.

1 The loading coils are not making proper connection, some corrosion may have crept under the insulating sleeving covering them. This seems a common fault so I will be having a look at those.

2 A couple of you suggested that it could be too low. I have it installed on a 70ft crank-up tower which I have to finish roping as yet in order to crank it up. I'm not sure if this would have accounted for the 3:1 SWR, which seems very high to me. My linear would baulk at that!!

I did clean the beam thoroughly before putting it up and I used aluminium graphite anti-seize compound on the elements when assembling it. I used a 1:1 toroidal balun at the feed point and
I used Westflex 50 ohm low-loss coax.

Thanks again to all who replied and I will follow up on all the suggestions. Hopefully they will work out! I shall crank the tower up to 70ft before testing again. Even that is low for 40m I do realise! I am just too much of a coward to stack it above my 4-el steppir which is on my 120ft
tower. I guess it might be an idea to swap them around!!!!

73 de Roger, G3LDI