[TowerTalk] Dipole gain?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole gain?
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 21:45:59 -0500
Even if this is not the "right" forum i still think this is the place there I
can get an answer.

I was told (a long time ago) that the dipole had a 3 dB gain over the isotropic
radiator maybe even a little more. That way you should subtract 3 dB to get a
comparison between an antenna gain give over the isotropic. I was also told
that two crossed dipoles were as close to an isotropic radiator you could get.
Now I am reading more-and-more articles that state that the dipole has a 2.14
dB gain over the isotropic. ??? Can anybody give me the "true" about this?

Hans - N2JFS