[TowerTalk] feeding a Moseley S-403 40 meter three el. beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] feeding a Moseley S-403 40 meter three el. beam
From: John King via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 08:36:31 -0800
I am putting up an S-403 Moseley three element 40 mtr. beam. Does anyone have
hands on experience with this model beam ? It has a resonating coil in the
center of each element. The manual discusses feeding directly with coax OR with
a multi-turn RF Choke made of coax. I have used both feed methods on antennas
in the past. But with this installation, I would like to use a commercially
manufactured  1:1 torroid balun of W2FMI design rated at 5KW . The manual does
not suggest use of a balun, but does not discourage the use of a balun. My
question has to do with the feed point which has a resonating coil at the
center of the driven element .

If you are familiar with the S-403 and have experience with this design, I
would like to hear from you regarding the use of a balun between the coax and
the feed point. Your input based on your knowledge and experience will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks and 73, John, K5PGW