Re: [TowerTalk] Single tower and 3 monoband yagis - "Christmas three"

To: "towertalk@contesting.com >> [TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single tower and 3 monoband yagis - "Christmas three"
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:10:58 -0500

Given the short distance between top and bottom antennas, is there a
benefit to this kind of array vs. interlaced monobanders on a common
boom?

That's exactly the reason I asked if the monobanders had been optimized
for stack use.  Study after study shows the 15 meter antenna is badly
impacted in these "close" stacks - even if the SWR stays fairly close
to nominal.  The 15 will affect the 10 but not as badly as the 20
affects the 15.

Years ago I had a 204/155/105 stack put up with Hy-Gain's recommended
spacing (I think it was 7' from 20 to 15, 5' from 15 to 10) and the
15 never really worked as well as it should have.  I moved the 204 to
another tower (stacked it with a second 204) and brought the 15 down
so there was a full 12' between 155/105 and both antennas performed
a lot better.  Knowing what I do now, I should have found a way to get
the 105 a full 16' above the 155 ... or optimize the 105 for the
presence of the 155.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV