Re: [TowerTalk] Strange coax failure

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange coax failure
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:19:18 -0700
Patrick,

I had a case once of a shorted coax due to a manufacturing defect. The coax
was a 100 ft piece. I had first cut off the connectors one at a time but
found the coax still shorted. I cut the coax in half, one half open, the
other shorted. I kept cutting the shorted section in half until I had about
a 6 inch shorted piece remaining. I slid off the braid and found that
during the manufacturing process the center conducted was bent outward and
through the dielectric causing a direct contact with the braid. Don't know
why the short was not caught in a QC check, but maybe only random
pieces/rolls were checked.

In the end, I still had 50ft of coax to use, plus a bunch of shorter
pieces...

Ray,
N6VR