Re: [TowerTalk] Ultraflex coax questions

To: "'Howard W6HDG'" <W6HDG@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ultraflex coax questions
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:56:18 -0500
I started out with LMR400UF on my MA770MDP and found it to be quite stiff.
It had a tendency to bow out from the tower on the way down. That resulted
in a large loop migrating to the other side of the tower and getting hung up
in the motor mounting bracket. When this happened, the tower oscillated like
crazy as the motor tried to fight the snag. I think one or both cables would
have failed had it not been for the antenna balun exploding and releasing
the coax.

This wasn't entirely the fault of the LMR400UF. The tower really needs one
more standoff below the motor to prevent it. I've since added one and the
coax doesn't migrate anymore.

Nonetheless, I replaced the LMR400UF with Davis Bury Flex and have found it
to be much more flexible and the jacket is more slippery to boot.

73, Dick WC1M