Re: [TowerTalk] Work Platform

To: Kris Mraz <n5kilomike@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Work Platform
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:05:59 -0500
If your tower is a wooden pole, this might work out. You could sit at the
top of your tower and wait for deer.

If you tower is metal, this won't work. The teeth that are meant to
penetrate the wood of the tree (this is a tree stand, after all) will slide
down the face of the tower with you aboard and scrape the
galvanizing/anodizing layer off your tower as it abruptly deposits  you on
the ground, or snags on a cross member and tilts, again depositing whomever
is aboard abruptly on the ground.

Paraphrasing Michael Collins, "The laws of physics are unforgiving. And the
ground is hard."

Most tower manufacturers make a work platform for their product.  This is
what I use:

http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/SafetyStand.html

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Kris Mraz <n5kilomike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone considered using a hunter's tree stand as a tower work platform?
> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13148732
>
> Seems like if it's safe enough up a tree it should be safe for tower work.
> Plus,
> you'd have a place to sit down if you're up the tower for an extended
> period
> of time.
>
> Kris N5KM

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.