[TowerTalk] Too Old To Climb Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Too Old To Climb Towers
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:01:24 -0700
There are varying excuses for not wanting to climb towers any longer, too old is one ! At 83 and a ham for over 67 years, I prefer (not desire) to only have to climb no more than 30-40 feet on something similar to Rohn 45 or 55.

So some months ago, when confronted with climbing a retracted crank up tower, with diagonal bracing, I purchased an aluminum 24' extension ladder from Walmart, on sale for about $144. Prior to using it, I installed "ears or wings" on the top of each of its vertical members to prevent it, when leaning up against my tower, from inadvertently sliding off. With the ladder's base about 3 to 5 feet away from the tower's base, it provides a comfortable climbing angle. I further anchored and stabilized it to the tower, with three strategically placed, rachet "tie down" straps around both the tower and the ladder, along it's length.

This is a cheap mental and physical insurance policy for climbing retracted crank up towers, if you can't also "lay them down". Bear in mind that the advertised length of these ladders does not reflect the necessary overlap distance of their sections. Also there's nothing wrong with storing them in place !

Chuck,  W7CS