Re: [TowerTalk] Hidden danger in Tower Climbing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hidden danger in Tower Climbing
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:22:16 -0500
On 1/7/2015 3:56 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

Yup.

"They say" that heart attacks always give a warning, but normally those warnings are interpreted as almost anything other than what they are. Heart attacks are good at masquerading as something else until they are full blown, but sometimes they come with no recognizable advanced warning. Strokes often come with no warning and can come on in seconds. I don' remember who it was, but an announcer, or news caster on radio was giving his spiel when his normally well rehearsed speech suddenly deteriorated into gibberish in a sentence.

I always carried an HT on a tether, but some how it came unhooked, whether I didn't hook up correctly or it caught on something? . At-any-rate that Kenwood TH-7HG (I think it was) hit the "soft" yard, antenna first. it drove the antenna all the way into the dirt (I said it was soft). The antenna survived, BUT the HT literally exploded. The window over the digital readout was blown out (never did find it) along with some other parts. I found most of them. It was well beyond what they call economical repair. I keep it out in the shop as a memento and reminder for new climbers. <:-)) at 32ft/sec^2 that HT was moving a bit over 80 ft/s when it hit the ground. I don't remember what that little HT weighed, but energy = 1/2(MV^2) where M = Mass and V = velocity a 1# object would hit with a force of 1600 ft lb

73

Roger (K8RI)