Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control design

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control design
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 14:11:57 -0600
The intro to K3NG's Arduino based approach for controllers...

     Introduction

This is an Arduino-based rotator interface that interfaces a computer to a rotator or rotator controller, emulating the Yaesu GS-232A/B and Easycom protocols which are supported by a myriad of logging, contest, and control programs. It can be easily interfaced with commercial rotator control units. With the addition of a proper capacity power supply and several interface components such as relays, this unit could also serve as a total replacement for a rotator control unit or serve as the basis for a 100% homebrew rotation system. Several azimuth and elevation position sensors including potentiometers, rotary encoders, and I2C devices are supported. The code is very flexible, modular, and easy to read allowing intermediate and advanced experimenters and builders to customize it.

As a recent adopter of Arduino micro-controller projects I am not in a position to contribute much as I am not too far beyond the "Hello World" equivalent stage and am having to wake up the grey matter where my sparse C programming experience is hibernating.

There is fairly extensive coverage of many related sketches (Arduino jargon) in the public domain which you could "data mine" and give yourself a quick start.

Patrick   NJ5G