Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:36:07 +0000
Jim,

That is such a revolutionary statement that I felt I must investigate it. So I loosely wound 4 turns of PTFE wire on a Type 43 toroid - the wire was barely touching the toroid. The impedance measured around 200 Ohms at 10MHz - almost entirely resistive. I connected it across my tuner, adjusted for a good match, and then applied 20W at 10MHz for 5 minutes.

At the end of 5 minutes I touched the wire and then the toroid. The wire was barely warm, but I scolded my finger on the toroid!

There's no doubt at all that the dissipation mechanism is within the ferrite toroid, not the wire; if the wire gets hot it's because it's in contact with the toroid.

Or perhaps I completely misunderstood what you are claiming?

Steve G3TXQ