Re: [TowerTalk] Lowering HDX 589

To: WK1W - Ivan Shapiro <WK1W@ivanshapiro.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lowering HDX 589
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:09:07 -0800
On 2/23/2015 5:31 PM, WK1W - Ivan Shapiro wrote:
> I need to motorize it, Would like to know details (manufacturer of motor and
> gear) any pictures etc.
> If anyone reading this would send any info I would be grateful forever :)

Here is a write up on my tilt over winch:

http://www.n6rk.com/boat_lift_hoist_tilt_over_tower.pdf

I use a small automotive floor jack that is sold
as an "1.5 ton Aluminum Racing Jack" by Harbor Freight Tools.
Also available in higher tonnages, that even my
tower on steroids doesn't require.
By removing the metal roller that comes with it,
the minimum height is only around 2 inches and will
slip under the bottom leg of my HDX-5106.  I use it
both for tipping the tower to get it to go down and
for gently letting it move to upright.  The jack
allows me to easily get the bolt holes aligned.
It has plenty of lifting range for this application.

The selling price of the jack varies between $50
and $100 depending on various "sale prices" that
HFT offers from time to time.  If you are familiar
with HFT, they seem to keep changing SKU numbers
and often have several for the same item.  They
are currently showing 68053 and 60569 for this
item.

I have also seen what appears to be the same blue
colored jack at auto stores, etc.

Rick N6RK