[TowerTalk] 80 Meter 4 Square Antenna Resistance

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter 4 Square Antenna Resistance
From: "Arthur Caswell" <acaswell4238@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 07:28:16 -0600
Hi All,

I have a concern about my 80 meter 4 Square antenna resistance.  The antenna
was originally tuned for 3770 as the DX window is where I hang out, but
there are times when I would like to work a new country on CW.  With that in
mind, I purchased the Array Solutions new control box and new phasing lines
cut for 3650.  Array Solutions say that with their controller one can set
the antenna up to cover the CW band and the SSB part of the band.

Started shortening the elements last fall in October, I am still working on
that, winter got in the way plus I am having trouble getting the right
length.  That will be another seperate question after this one.

Antenna setup is, 1/4 wave length 4" irrigation pipe sleeved together.  120
surface radials per element and I used ON4UN's radial setup with a circular
and cross hatched buss.  Ground rods are attached to the buss at various
points, all the radial ends are silver soldered to the buss where ever they
crossed the buss.

I know from various books and writings that the resistance at resonance for
the frequency one is tuning the antenna for should be around 36 ohms for
each element.  All previous readings during different times were in that
range.  October's readings were averaging 34 ohms.  Didnt finish tuning
then.  Got back to tuning in the middle of Nov.  By then the ground was
frozen and we had 2' of snow.  Average readings then were 67 ohms, almost
double the previous readings?

My thoughts are the frozen ground and snow changed things?

Skip KE9L