Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:24:47 -0800
On Wed,3/4/2015 3:59 PM, Don Moman VE6JY wrote:
I never put hardline in conduit, never had any issues.

All of the cables to my towers -- Heliax, CATV hard line, coax, control lines -- are laying on the ground. They run through my lawn and through the woods. The grass has long since grown over the older of the cables, and is working on the newest ones. :) The Heliax is mostly LDF5-50A or equivalent, the CATV stuff is 1/2-inch Al shield with some sort of PVC jacket. The first tower has been up 4-5 years, the second one about 3 years. Coax to the Beverages lays on the ground, and has been in almost 8 years. So far, no issues with any of them. We have a few squirrels (used to be more, but the bigger animals have thinned them a lot), rats, mice, skunks, deer, bobcat, coyote, and mountain lion. Lots of rain, an occasional light dusting snow.

My neighbor K6XX has lots of LDF5 and bigger laying on the ground for a lot longer than me. :)

73, Jim K9YC