[TowerTalk] Water in Conduit... the fix

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit... the fix
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:31:28 -0800
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:26:36 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...  the fix

### ...
If u use a weep hole,
> use the bare min.. like one...maybe two at most...and no bigger than  .15625
> dia,
> ( five sixteenths).   .125 inch or less is usually not big enough..and can
> become plugged with debris.

######  oops.... I meant to say  5 / 32  of an inch  =  .15625 inch diam.

Jim   VE7RF

If you must use weep holes, I'd keep them very small.  In many areas
5/16ths is far too large! The reason is bugs, Wasps,  and spiders.  We
seem to have gained a massive increase of paper wasps, Mud Dobbers, and
those tiny nasty tempered Yellow Jackets over the past few years.
Yellow jackets seem to prefer cooler locations as in the ground and
under garage floors.   Mud Dobbers and Paper Wasps like enclosed spaces
like the tuning unit for my Hy-Gain AV640 (
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm ) 6th photo
down. Text gives explanation.  The little, stock drain hole was still
large enough for them to get in.  RF killed a few, causing others to
gang up on the threat, causing a massive mess.

Last summer I removed nearly a dozen Paper Wasp nests from our 200 X
200' lot.  Some were larger than a football.
I opened the small 8' garage door on the West end of the South side of
the shop to find a new nest of unhappy wasps. Only got stung twice
before I got the door closed.

Several years ago, the whole neighborhood had more than that per 100' X
200' yard.

73

Roger (K8RI)