Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Anchors
From: Palmer Byrne <w7nmd@twinlakes-ar.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:18:26 -0500
I would recommend MilSpec Anchors, http://milspecanchors.com, located in Alexander City, AL approximately 300 miles northwest of you. They can be shipped by UPS, USPS, etc. and are easy to install. We have used them on a number of antenna projects without any problems. They can be hand driven (not recommended except in ideal soil conditions) or driven with a Bosh DH 11304 with a 1" Ground Rod Driver bit, or similar electric demolition hammer available at many tool rental yards. We typically use the 8" arrowhead anchors with the 5/16" cable. Standard cable is 4' but it can be made any length on order. We have found these people great to work with. Driving an anchor in our rocky Arkansas soil takes typically than 2 - 5 minutes and the pull out is rated at up to 9,000 lbs. As an added bonus, this same hammer will drive a 5/8" 8' ground rod in less than 1 minute.

Palmer Byrne W7NMD