Re: [TowerTalk] Loss of wet RG-213

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loss of wet RG-213
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:42:30 -0400
On 3/31/2015 3:52 AM, Markku Oksanen wrote:

I would not expect the loss in the cable to rise much, but that's with several caveats. Depending on the dielectric what it is made of and if foam the cell structure as well. That and the composition of the rain water. Gone are the days of nice, pure, soft rain water...at least if you are down wind from an industrialized area and that's up yo 300 or 400 mile (or even more depending on the industry and winds)

BUT I would expect a rapid deterioration of the braid/shield. Al foil will fail even faster. Also the UHF connectors are locations where the water can collect. Today's rain water is likely to have a low PH. Possibly very low. That would lead to high loss at the connector and very rapid deterioration of solder, braid and even the dielectric depending on the dielectric's composition.

There are just too many possibilities to calculate an expected loss. It can be a little or with today's acid rain it can be a lot accompanied by rapid failure of the coax itself. If you are in an area where acid rain is prevalent, it would be best to write it off and replace the coax as it's likely to fail fairly soon. Give it a few weeks and copper braid will turn black. That oxide can form thousands of tiny diodes.

No, you don't need hardline, or a professional installation. You do need to study the proper installation of connectors and water proofing. A properly waterproofed UHF connector is fine, but, There is always a risk associated with depending on water proofing. The old, "If you water proof it properly, then you will have no problems" is a myth! It will likely extend the life of the coax, but you are playing the odds. I used to believe that myth, until my system took a direct hit that removed all of the water proofing and silver plating at the top of the tower on a 200 ft plus run of 9913. 15 minutes later I had water running out of the 2-meter rig and onto the desk. T found the water proofing in the back yard, looking a lot like expanded metal.

There are a number of good water proofing methods. I like the simple, "flooded" heat shrinkable tubing. Some dislike that, or any method that leaves gunk on the connector. Me? I take the, It may look crappy, but doesn't hurt the function of the connector, either mechanically or electrically and they can be water proofed just as good as a new one. I like the idea of it all being bonded together as it adds mechanical strength to the connection and reduces the stress on the braid so it's not trying to pull out of the connector. It bonds the coax jacket on both sides of the connection together which is usually a weak point with UHF connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)

All
We had a very rainy fall last year and I noticed a signs of water at an UHF
connector.  The cable runs some 150 feet up the tower and  and the water must
have been coming along the cable.NOW I have been trying to find definitive
numbers of estimated loss for a wet RG-213 at, say 28.5 MHZ.  For some reason,
no luck on the internet anyway.  Although I intent to change the cable, I would
like to know what this does for the time being.
Thanks for the help!
MarkkuOH2RA/OG2A/WW1C

Roger (K8RI)

---