Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 20:54:05 -0700
On 4/8/15 1:42 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

Another issue is: what size round element is equivalent
to the copper tape?

In general, you can use a round element with circumference equal to the width of the tape (or half the width of the tape.. opinions vary).

I just did a bunch of models of a "tape" dipole at work where we were comparing the results from HFSS (modeling a 1cm wide tape) and NEC2 (modeling it as a tube with radius 1mm.. 0.628 cm circumference) and they were "pretty close".

The variations from the dielectric properties of the tube will have a bigger effect.