Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:35:45 -0700
On 4/10/15 3:37 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
Snip

I'm wondering if there have been any attempts at more than 4 element
SteppIR's?

I'm happy with my 4L but it would be nice to have some more smoke. What
might be interesting are some longer boom more limited band combinations,
with higher performance e.g.  6 L on 15/12/10 or 5 L on

20/17 or 6 L on 17/12 on 42' boom (the one I want, since my modeling so far
for an interlaced 5/5 design isn't succeeding).

I suspect that FluidMotion has to pick and choose which products that they want to make and sell. Clearly, if someone wanted to, they could buy two 3 el SteppIRs and put them end to end with some sort of mechanical contraption.

There's probably not enough customer interest to justify the design time (and inevitable support costs) for a limited market item. You might want a 6 element on a 42 foot boom, but maybe someone else wants a top band SteppIR, and the designers are currently busy trying to figure out to build a 40 meter long plastic structure to support the moving element tape.

They may well come out with such a thing later. Most companies start with 1 product, then gradually add products to the lineup. That's what FluidMotion did so far.