[TowerTalk] rotor advice needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotor advice needed
From: Mark Ketchell <k5er@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 00:34:46 -0500
I would like to solicit advice from the group.

I have a 124' Rohn 55 tower. Temporarily, for the antenna mast, I have a Ham IV in place, ONLY AS A PLACEHOLDER, and an additional steel bracket locking down the mast and prohibiting rotation. The rotor shelf is at 115 feet (down 9' from the top) and the guy bracket is at the same location, to transfer most rotational torque directly to the guy wires. I opted to NOT use a thrust bearing, but instead have a 1' thick reinforced nylon bushing bolted to the top plate. I have 2" diam, 1/4 ' wall Chromolly mast that is 24', which gives me 13' above the top of the tower. There is also a 6 element 6 meter yagi at the top of this mast. I have a 44' boom, six element OWA for 20 meters just above the top plate. The 20 meter antenna is about 11 sq ft of windload, and the 6 meter is about 1.8 sq ft.

My plans were to free up an RD-1800 (made by CATS/Rotor Doctor), which is currently turning a KT36XA and a 2 el forty on another tower, and use this to turn the antenna on the mast.

This weekend, I picked up an original Orion 2300 (AC), with controller. The unit was just rebuilt, cleaned, greased and limit switched checked. The control box was also checked out, and all appears to work fine, including the speed control. Apparently this model still had the pot, rather than the pulse counter, and on the bench, reads exactly where the rotor is pointing. So far, the only noticeable shortcoming is there is no automatic speed ramp up/down. I could adjust the speed as I turn it, or simply run the unit slower.

Yes, there is a question coming. The Orion series seems to be considered one of the strongest "conventional" rotors on the market. Is there any reason I should NOT use the old model Orion for turning the 13 sq ft of aluminum I have at 124' high? This will be the top antenna in a three stack, so I won't be turning it "every" time I need a different direction - I can turn the middle OWA on a Tic-Ring, and actually often point them different directions, anyway, for diversity and quick direction changes.

If I do use the Orion, would it be wise (or even possible) to eventually change the AC motor out for the newer DC version (granted I'd have to change the control box if I did this)?

Any guidance on the pros and cons of this older Orion would be appreciated.

73,
Mark, K5ER