Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Near Field Lightning Damage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Near Field Lightning Damage
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:55:09 -0500
All interesting stuff. Oh, and Hans, I was reporting not having seen CBs damaged on the tuna boats by lightning. It could have easily been due to having other stuff on board like tall steel masts etc (high mounted RDF antennas) or whatever that protected the CB radios. Never saw a marine band VHF with lightning damage either. Ditto Marine band or ham band HF radios too. RDFs frequently got their goniometers fried. These tuna boats went places like American Samoa, Australia, Guam, and so forth so the likelihood of not encountering lightning at sea would be extremely remote.

I got an email back from my senior scientist/ham friend who worked with me when the "all solid state stuff aboard fried" incident happened. He was not assigned to that restoration but recalls the report when our outfit took the job and helped me with the time frame. It was no later than early April 1980 (not intending humor relating to early April, April Fools Day) and could have been as early as 1979 but no sooner. Too bad this wasn't an event of more general interest as it could have been documented in a news paper. We waterfront electronics types chatted about it among ourselves but it wasn't on the 6 o'clock news.

I suspect your CB good buddies had antennas for their CB radios that were the highest conductors around.

Interestingly we just had a T-storm fire up and I double checked to see that my coax was not attached to the transceiver but instead is at the in-floor ground rod.

Patrick