Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:58:16 +0100
If you use a G5RV, the simplest way to get improved signal strength reports is to announce that you are using something else ;)

This from W8JI:

   On The Air Testing

One of the only ways to reliably test an HF antenna is a blind A-B comparison against another known good reference antenna. Since I also had a dipole at 100 feet a few hundred feet away from the G5RV (similar height), I had an ideal testing situation.

     Blind Test

I checked into various groups on 75 meters and did a blind A B antenna test. I would say "this is antenna one one one, this is antenna two two two" while switching antennas. The results were:

1. Nearly ALL of the reports indicated NO difference in signals! (58
   equal reports)
2. When a difference in signal was reported, about equally split either
   the full size dipole or G5RV would win. (7 G5RV better, 9 dipole
   better)

     Announced Tests

I also did tests that called the antennas by name. I would say "This is the the G5RV,G5RV, G5RV. This is the dipole, dipole, dipole". The results were rather revealing.

1. When I would call each antenna by the correct name, the G5RV was
   reported "weaker" or with "poorer audio" or some other negative
   comment more than 80% of the time. The remaining stations reported
   no difference!
2. When I would call each antenna by the /*opposite name*/, the antenna
   I was calling the G5RV was /*still reported*/ in some negative
   context about 80% of the time. The remaining percentage again
   reported no real difference.

Full story on Tom's web site:
http://www.w8ji.com/g5rv_facts.htm

Steve G3TXQ