Re: [TowerTalk] sealing PL259's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing PL259's
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 13:43:02 -0700
On Mon,5/25/2015 5:34 AM, J. Hunt via TowerTalk wrote:
I do not use PL-259's  much outdoors (or indoors), the choice is N
connectors... on everything - 1.8 - 500mhz.The N connector is weatherized, less
impedance bump and higher power capabilities.
... 7/16 Din connectors anyone ...

I agree that the impedance bump can be significant above 50 MHz. Below that, it is simply not an issue. The relevant issues are mechanical -- ruggedness, ease of termination, physical size. I find most N connectors quite difficult to terminate well, and with many there is the matter of conductor creep. I very much like the Andros male N connectors, which solve all of these issues. I discovered a few of them in SK N6RZ's junk box, and bought more.

73, Jim K9YC