[TowerTalk] Need Installation Assistance for Thrust Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Installation Assistance for Thrust Bearing
From: "Doug Smith" <dougsmith@wavecable.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:36:46 -0700
I purchased thrust bearings from AN Wireless in 2008 as part of a two tower
package acquired at that time.  For various reasons, the towers didn't go in
the air.  I am putting them up this summer.

Getting ready to do so, I have examined the thrust bearings:  the
manufacturer is Peer and the model is FHFTJ211-33G.  These units consist of
a base, which includes a stainless steel 2 1/6th inch round bearing (through
which the 2" mast would pass), and an eccentric ring which the mast would
also pass through and which fits into the bearing assembly.  The eccentric
ring has a tightening hex nut that presumably tightens it to the mast, and a
hole that does not go all the way through, that appears to be for tightening
the ring itself somehow.  However, the eccentric ring rotates freely on the
bearing - it does not appear to tighten.  It has no screw threads or other
apparent system of tightening other than the hex nut, which would tighten
only to the mast, not the bearing assembly.

Is anyone familiar with this thrust bearing?  If so, does it rely on weight
of the mast/antennas and friction between the eccentric ring and the
stainless steel bearing to turn the bearing, or are you supposed to do
something that I haven't figured out?  I have photos of the unit if seeing
those would help figure this out.  Just email me off list.  AN Structures,
the successor to AN Wireless, has been very responsive but they don't know
the answer and Peer, the manufacturer, has not been helpful at all.

Thanks.  73 Doug W7ZZ w7zz@wavecable.com <mailto:w7zz@wavecable.com>