Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600: Crimp or Clamp Connectors?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600: Crimp or Clamp Connectors?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:40:27 -0400
I use mainly LMR 600 and crimp connectors. Good crimpers are not terribly expensive, although not cheap. Yes, the Ultra Flex (UF) versions definitely do have a fragile and easily abraded rubber like jacket. I've had LMR400UF fail in 6 years where it rubbed on the tower top plate.

Typically I use crimp connectors on everything from 8X to LMR600, but beware. UHF connectors tend to be fragile, and/or very expensive.

Rotator loops? You can use regular LMR 400 and 600 in rotator loops, I've done it and it worked well, BUT to do so takes a bit of work. You need to fabricate a shelf or plate to support a 3 turn loop with a diameter of at least 18 inches. It acts like a coil spring. Start with the rotator at mid rotation, so a half turn one way tightens the coil and a half turn the other way, loosens the coil. At 18" diameter there is very little bending with a half turn in a 3 turn coil

The UF versions are the most flexible cables I've used. They are even more flexible than BuryFlex(TM), but no where nearly as rugged. If money and replacing the cable every 5 to 6 years is not a problem, then I'd use LMR600UF, BUT because of the center conductor migration in vertical runs, the weight, and cable life, I'd choose BuryFlex(TM) for crank ups and rotator loops.

I have strong reservations about the use to which a crank up would put on the UF versions. Even with BuryFlex I'd put a 2 turn loop at the top arm with a at least a 12" diameter to reduce strain on the center conductor and conductor migration, or use a snug fitting EMT sweep 90. (Be sure to eliminate sharp edges.) I'd prefer a 450, but that takes someone really good at bending EMT.

With a regular tower, I'd put a 1 turn loop of 16 to 18" in diameter every 50 feet (laid flat against and taped to the tower face) To prevent, or minimize center conductor migration.

A bracket with a thoroughly waterproofed bulkhead connector at the end of the rotator loop would be a good place to ground the coax shield at the top of the tower.

73

Roger (K8RI)