Re: [TowerTalk] engineering help? Antenna weight for US Tower TX472

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] engineering help? Antenna weight for US Tower TX472
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:21:07 -0700
I'm a licensed P.E.
​ ​
(Calif.)
​ ​
and
​I ​
have helped several local hams with tower designs and permits. I'm very
familiar with the current TIA-222-G standard.

>> 2. What point is the weak link for the 200 pounds?

It is the tower leg in the bottom section. The assumed 200 pounds and the
6.1 SF wind load combined cause the bottom tower leg to be just at full
capacity (see Page 14,
​ ​
where
​ ​
Combined Stress Index is 1.00).
​  ​
When CSI is over 1.0, it is deemed overstressed.
​Since the bottom leg is the only tower component with CSI = 1.0, it is
weakest link.  ​
The antenna weight and surface area limits go hand in hand.
​ ​
If the assumed antenna weight is lowered then the allowable SF will go up.
The 200 lbs/6.1 SF should be viewed as a pair, with neither one as a
standalone limit. It's a load combination.

The Lift Cable Analysis on page 7 does not drive the 200 lbs number. It's a
check to ensure the cable can lift the tower
​ ​
(and it can with lots of capacity to spare). The presence of the lift cable
force does reduce the allowable moment
​ ​
in the tower
​ ​
somewhat (Note 1 on Page 8),
​ ​
but it's not a controlling factor
​ ​
here.

>> 1.  Is there a "safety factor" on the 200 pounds?  If so, what is it?

It appears this report uses the ASD method, which became obsolete when
TIA-222-G came into effect.  If memory serves the safety factor for steel
using ASD is 1.67.  Under ASD, safety factors are applied to the
​allowable stress in the tower legs and braces, not to the wind load or
weight load.

Please note this structural report uses the obsolete TIA-222-F standard.
Your local city or county may require a new report done under the 222-G
standard, if you plan to get a building permit.  Even if you don't plan on
getting a permit I'd recommend having it redone under -G
​anyway ​
because -G does a better job with ice loading, which could be important in
NJ.

73 Jim K6OK

=======  original post

http://www.ustower.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/TX-472.pdf

I am wondering about the spec for 200 pounds of antenna weight.  Can
someone with some engineering background/experience please review the above
link and let me know: