Re: [TowerTalk] engineering help? Antenna weight for US Tower TX472 (JVa

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] engineering help? Antenna weight for US Tower TX472 (JVarney)
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:22:04 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks Jim,Interesting take on the 200 pounds of antenna weight.  I'm not
concerned about knocking the tower down laterally, I'm just interested in the
dead weight lifting capacity.You say that if the antenna weight is reduced the
SF capacity increases.  Allow me to pose the question the other way around.
What if the SF of the antenna approaches zero (or what if the lateral wind is
zero mph)...then what is the allowable antenna weight?  That's the key for
me.Thanks so much!DougI'm a licensed P.E.(Calif.) and I have helped several
local hams with towerdesigns and permits. I'm very familiar with the current
TIA-222-G standard.>> 2. What point is the weak link for the 200 pounds?It is
the tower leg in the bottom section. The assumed 200 pounds and the6.1 SF wind
load combined cause the bottom tower leg to be just at fullcapacity (see Page
14, where the Combined Stress Index is 1.00). When CSIis over 1.0, it is deemed
overstressed. Since the bottom leg is the onlytower component with CSI = 1.0,
it is weakest link.  The antenna weight andsurface area limits go hand in hand.
If the assumed antenna weight islowered then the allowable SF will go up.  The
200 lbs/6.1 SF should beviewed as a pair, with neither one as a standalone
limit. It's a loadcombination.The Lift Cable Analysis on page 7 does not drive
the 200 lbs number. It's acheck to ensure the cable can lift the tower(and it
can with lots ofcapacity to spare). The presence of the lift cable force does
reduce theallowable moment in the tower somewhat (Note 1 on Page 8), but it's
not acontrolling factor here.>> 1.  Is there a "safety factor" on the 200
pounds?  If so, what is it?It appears this report uses the ASD method, which
became obsolete whenTIA-222-G came into effect.  If memory serves the safety
factor for steelusing ASD is 1.67.  Under ASD, safety factors are applied to
the allowablestress in the tower legs and braces, not to the wind load or
weight load.Please note this structural report uses the obsolete TIA-222-F
standard.Your local city or county may require a new report done under the
222-Gstandard, if you plan to get a building permit.  Even if you don't plan
ongetting a permit I'd recommend having it redone under -G anyway because
-Gdoes a better job with ice loading, which could be important in NJ.73 Jim K6OK