[TowerTalk] Need help modeling an 80-meter Shunt Fed tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need help modeling an 80-meter Shunt Fed tower
From: RLVZ--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 14:43:14 -0400

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for someone to model a simple Shunt-Fed tower for use  on
80-meters.  I have no experience using modeling software and don't have  time
learn until after I retire, so I'm hoping someone is willing to  model this
for me.

I'd like to model this tower to help determine the aprx. location of  the
50 ohm resistive feed point tap at a frequency of 3.550  mhz.   I realize
that I could feed the tower at almost any height and  make it work using a LC
Network, but I'd like to keep it simple as W8JI once  wrote, by using: "a
simple gamma capacitor and shunt feed conductor with the tap  point adjusted to
find 50 ohms resistive".   (no inductor  required with this simple feed
method)  Since the tower is short at  46', it will be relatively easy to climb
it in order to find the exact 50  ohm resistive tap location.  However, with
my bad back, modeling it should  get me in the general area of the 50 ohm
tap location and save me  several trips up and down the tower which would be
much  appreciated.

Here's the tower specs:

1) Rohn 45 tower with 18" face width, tower height  is 46'.

2) Non-Conductive guy wires.  (no steel guy wires)

3) Top mounted Bencher Skyhawk Tribander.  (24' boom)

4) 10' aluminum DC grounded VHF antenna top mounted, extends the  overall
tower/antenna height to 56'.

5) Proposed Shunt Feed system: 10 gauge copper wire run parallel to the
tower, from the base of the tower upward to the 50 ohm resistive tap  point.
I'm flexible with the spacing distance of the wire from the  tower, but am
leaning towards an 18" separation unless modeling  recommends otherwise.

In addition to determining the estimated 50 ohm resistive tap height,  it
would also be very helpful if the modeling software would estimate  the value
of the needed capacitance.  (such as 150pf)

Thanks & 73!

Dick- K9OM