Re: [TowerTalk] JK Navassa antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] JK Navassa antenna
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 01:20:10 +0000
I have experience with the JK 402 two element 40 meter beam, and looked over
the Navassa 5 antenna that Ken had on display in Dayton.  I will probably get
it to go on a new tower here for remote operation.
The 40 meter elements, hardware, etc. are massive.  The Navassa appears to be
similar considering that the elements are much shorter and therefore lighter.
In March we had an ice storm here in NJ and the 40 meter elements got quite a
load, drooped over significantly.  With melting it popped right back to perfect
level.  I'd trust Ken completely with his design, both mechanically and
electrically.  If Ken says it will resonate at a frequency, given your
configuration (height above ground) it will do just that.  I decided to change
mine from the cw to the phone band.  Ken gave me new dimensions for the element
tips and put it right smack where I wanted it (SWR and bandwidth).  I then made
tests with a remote mounted signal generator 600 feet away to verify the f/b
frequency and it was within 10 khz of where he said it would be.  I trust Ken
completely and he is always responsive to anything you might want.
When I was contemplating retuning my beam to the ssb portion of the band I
emailed Ken and got a phone call back within an hour.  He was on a cellphone in
the middle east on vacation with his xyl.  Need I say more about customer
service?

Rick  K2XT