Re: [TowerTalk] Brake Winches

To: Wilson <infomet@embarqmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brake Winches
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:34:41 -0400
 The common brake winch has a  wheel / drum  attached to the high gear shaft.
it positioned out side the main frame.
there is a lever with a steel band that encompasses that  wheel drum.  and when
lowering the winch and having  the gear dog lock disengaged ( no click click
click)  you use the leaver to control the unspooling of the winch.
some models had a friction material  bonded to this band some where just steel
to steel.
My one winch is the steel to steel and I spray it with WD40 b-4 lowering to
minimize wear.

Wayne W3EA