Re: [TowerTalk] rotator cable

To: Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotator cable
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 11:35:37 -0700
On 7/5/2015 4:01 AM, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

Hi,
what type of cable do you guys use to connect the rotator back to the
controller in the shack? And what connectors are easy enough to use to
provide a quick disconnect for when the radios are not in use?

I use a DB-25 in a special way.  The solder cups on a DB-25 are for
24 gauge wire, and won't fit rotor wire.  What I do as a workaround
is to wedge each rotor wire in between three of the DB-25 solder cups.
For example, between pins 1, 2, and 14, or between pins 3, 15, and 16,
or between pins 4, 5, and 17, etc.  This accommodates 8 wires, up
to at least 16 gauge.

This probably sounds dodgy, but actually works perfectly in practice.
The DB-25 with the rotor cable mates with another DB-25 that goes
to cable a few feet long that connects to the rotor controller.
This cable uses small wires that actually fit the DB-25 solder
cups normally.  It could be an old serial cable that you cut one
end off of and break out the wires to the screw terminals.

I use the same system at the rotor end.  I tape up the DB-25's
with Scotch 33 to weather proof them.  You can buy weatherproof
"boots" for the DB-25's from www.l-com.com, but I have never
tried them.

Rick N6RK