Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ article on U-SHIP

To: richard@karlquist.com, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ article on U-SHIP
From: lemii@sbcglobal.net <lemii@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 03:57:23 GMT

    Its also the backdrop of AbE's Shipping Wars program
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Richard (Rick) KarlquistDate: Mon, Jul 6,
2015 9:58 PMTo: towertalk reflector;Subject:[TowerTalk] WSJ article on U-SHIP
The Wall Street Journal had an interesting write upthat discussed U-SHIP and
related trucking issues.(See:  WSJ, May 13, 2015, Page B7)You might get the
impression from reading TT thatU-SHIP is something like U-HAUL, being for
individualsmall shippers.  Actually, U-SHIP mainly replacestraditional freight
brokers with business to businessfull loads hauled by professional owner
operators.It turns out that you don't have to be a freightbroker to offer a job
on U-SHIP.  That's whereham towers come in.  The article discusses
the"backhaul" problem.  I knew a truck driver whotold me that car haulers
delivering cars fromDetroit to Florida would put plywood on the bottomof the
car haulers and pull oranges back up northso the back haul wasn't a total
waste.  Thesewildcat loads were the origin of the U-SHIP concept,where it is
"let's make a deal".  Excellent reading.Rick
 mailing l