Re: [TowerTalk] N6RK Winch

To: Wilson <infomet@embarqmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N6RK Winch
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:32:45 -0700
Thanks for the positive feedback.  Good to know someone
actually reads these articles I write.

Are you asking about the pulley shafts on the tilt fixture
as supplied by US tower, or are you asking about the bearings
on the winch itself?  The winch itself is actually rated at
6500 lbs.  On the UST pulleys, each has 8,000 lbs of shear,
but the sheeves are sandwiched between two plates so the
shaft is very short.  It is similar to the pulleys on the
tower itself.  No one has reported any shear failures of
UST pulleys.  (Bearings wear out, but that's another issue).

Rick N6RK