[TowerTalk] Grainger crimping tool

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grainger crimping tool
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 13:07:03 +0000 (GMT)
I bought a crimping tool from Grainger several years ago.  I had lots of cable
to redo.
I used it on my HG54HD and TX472.

I'm not at home so I can't check, but it was a big moose and not inexpensive'
maybe Klein.
But easily less expensive than buying all those cables.  And besides, this way
I was SURE
that the cables would be the right length.

I had previously purchased a replacement cable and it was "short" just enough
that I
had to use pry bar to raise one of the sections so it would fit.  That's right,
I replaced
the cable while the tower was vertical.  I'm still here with all my fingers and
toes.

Cables are up for years, no failures.  Buy the crimping tool, if you are sure
the cable needs
replacement (agree with other comment that surface rust doesn't count, but I
recall
reading somewhere the cables rust from the inside out).

Many times, a rusty "looking" cable is fine.  It is rust that found its way on
to the cable from
a different steel part that was rusting.

GL

de Doug KR2Q