[TowerTalk] Bonding question

To: reflector -tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bonding question
From: Matt Flukinger <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:31:09 -0500
I will be feeding several Hygain style, mono-band Yagi antennas through
W2FMI HBH50 (1:1 Guanella) baluns.   All my Yagi’s are matched using
Hy-Gain style Beta matches clamped to the antenna booms.  Since my baluns
are mounted in plastic cases, I am seeking advice & thoughts on whether I
should bond the chassis side of the female N connectors at my baluns to the
antenna booms?  I understand that our best practices bond the shield side
of our feedlines to tower at the top and bottom. However, I am unsure if
the ground connection provided by the Beta match alone is sufficient, since
it is on the load side of the balun, rather than on the line side.  The
balun windings would seem to present additional inductance in the shield
side of the path in the event of a lightning event, but that may or may not
be of any significance.  Anyway, would appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
KM5VI