[TowerTalk] Tower Guy anchors

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Guy anchors
From: "Mel Ming " <teammel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:22:49 -0700
Does anyone know a structural engineer in Spokane who works with Rohn 45
tower and Amateur Radio?

I am planning after the first of the year to put up my 80ft  Rohn 45 guyed
tower.

Since my soil in Cheney is very rocky, I am not sure I can use the standard
Rohn concrete anchor (dead man) (4 ft. deep, 4 ft. wide by  6 ft. cement
anchor in rebar). I have just about solid rock 2 ft. under the surface. I
guess I could use a jack hammer. It is too solid to do with a backhoe or
small excavator.

I have debated as an alternative using 8 ft. I-beams, with 6 ft. below
ground. I could get a well driller or telephone pole installer to drill 6
ft. holes to put the I-beams in.  What I would like to ask a structural
engineer is:

1)     What size I-beams would I need?

2)     Is 6 ft. below ground and 2 ft. above ground a good ratio?

3)     What size hole and concrete should I use?

4)     Would I be better to just jack hammer out the traditional Rohn dead
Guy Anchors?

5)     Is there a better alternative?

All suggestions appreciated.

Mel Ming