Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Yagi Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Yagi Question
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:41:47 -0500
I would be very leery of buying the Cushcraft EF 240. I bought one a few
years ago and put it up on my 90 foot tower. I had lots of problems. It was
VERY difficult to tune and I never got it to work satisfactorily.  After
about 6 months 2 of the stand offs on the shortened elements broke.  They
looked very strong but didn't last. I called the factory and they admitted
that the entire shipment was faulty and sent me all new ones.  I had to take
the antenna down and replace them.  After having the antenna back up for a
couple of months the one of shortening wires broke.  I called the factory
and they admitted that they were prone to doing this and sent me all new
(different alloy) wires. I had to take the antenna down and replace them.

The SWR was never satisfactory and I hired a crane with a chair so that I
could try to tune the antenna in place but was never able to. They do have
other 40 M yagis and they may be fine.

I think the antenna is very fragile and it is expensive to keep working. I
finally took it down and junked it.  I bought a Cushcraft XM240.  Followed
the instructions and it worked perfectly and is an excellent antenna.

Just in case you think that I am a F12 hater, I have a C3E that has been on
my tower for the past 15 years.  It is an outstanding antenna and I think an
excellent buy.

Bill W5VX