Re: [TowerTalk] 40m optibeam de-coupling stubs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m optibeam de-coupling stubs
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:35:29 -0700

My OB2-40 isn't connected up right now so I can't scan it outside the band, but I do have a pretty good EZNEC+ model of the antenna that I worked up based upon actual physical measurements I took of everything ... elements, coils, and the decoupling stubs. That EZNEC+ model gives SWR and gain plots virtually identical to those supplied by DF2BO, as well as identical to actual SWR and pattern plots I took once the antenna was on the tower ... which surprised me a bit since NEC2 isn't known for modeling closed spaced elements all that well.

Anyway, my model shows no resonances above 40m until a small dip at 29.5 with about a 12:1 SWR at that point. There is a rather strong resonance at 47.8 MHz (about 1.2:1 SWR) which matches my on-the-air experience that I can get a decent SWR and slight directivity at the low end of 6m with the OB2-40.

I'm not actually sure the antenna "has to resonate somewhere" near it's third harmonic. It seems to me that the decoupling stubs could conceivably kill the resonance there without shifting it.

For what it may be worth ...

73,
Dave   AB7E