Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Somewhat OT Anyone seen this problem with Green H

To: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Somewhat OT Anyone seen this problem with Green Heron Controllers?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:06:04 -0800
I've encountered what may be a related problem with several (8) RT21's usb connected.

It seems that at least Win7 boot can't properly assign multiple USB devices that are already powered up. I delved as deeply as I am able into the boot process and concluded that when a large number of usb devices are powered on prior to boot, windows can't sort them out. It assigns them to other than COM ports and other things in the case of serial emulating devices such as the RT21. I had many emails with Jeff at GH and concluded this is not his problem.

I'll speculate a bit that with multiple bridges, hubs and whatever current systems use to have the max USB 2 and 3 ports (some hidden) and the Windows promise to be able to boot from usb, it is a flaw in the OS. I am able to demonstrate the problem on another Win7 system. The main system is an HP business class desktop and HP second level support was stumped, but promised to send a replacement system.

Anyway, the simple answer for my grief was to put all RT21's on a power strip and power them up after the boot is stable. Ah, there is another gotcha - the Win7 boot forks early in the process to give you a screen to play with but the full Windows OS is really not there yet. Pre SSD's it was reported that all of Windows doesn't exist until 6 minutes into the startup, but that is what I have read on the web. That's how usoft gives you a faster boot - Penn and Teller tricks.

I wait a bit into the boot process and then turn on all RT21's at once. They reliably are assigned to the same COM port each time. How that works is a bit of a mystery to me as I am using a 9 port USB hub, but there must be some sequencing by connector position.

Maybe why one person told me "USB really means Unreliable S o B"

Grant KZ1W