[TowerTalk] Climbing mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing mast
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 07:45:36 -0800
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 08:29:13 -0500
From: Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l@comcast.net>
To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>

Anybody remember who made the masts with steps? Are they still made?

73, Mike NF4L

##  I made mine  from  2 inch x  2 inch  x  .25 inch thick  angle aluminum,
6061-T6.
14 –15 inchs wide.   This was for a 2 inch OD  x .375 inch thick  4160
chromolly mast.
Angle AL is held to the mast via a single DX engineering super duty  saddle
clamps. They have a
huge amount of surface area.  They use a pair  of  Grade 8 bolts,  .375 inch
diam types.
That non skid stuff was available locally in 2 inch wide rolls.
I applied  it to both the vertical and horizontal surfaces.   At the extreme
ends of the Horz
portions,  I installed  a 1/4-20  SS  bolt and nylock, that sticks up aprx 1.5
inchs.  That
is there so I can feel them  with my boots, and know where the ends of the
steps are.
IE:  slide your foot over a bit, and it will butt up against the SS  rider
bolt.   Then there is
no way you can  step off into...mid air.

The super duty saddle clamps are available in 2 inch and also  2.5 inch..and
also 3 inch.   These things are the real deal, and come with their own  .25
inch thick  SS  backing plate.

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/brand/dx-engineering/department/clamps-and-fasteners/product-line/dx-engineering-super-duty-saddle-clamps?autoview=SKU&N=401126%2B4294950919&sortby=Default&sortorder=Default

Jim   VE7RF