Re: [TowerTalk] Film Power Resistors

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Film Power Resistors
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 06:41:15 +0000 (UTC)
Yes Hans,

The Caddock (et al) thin film resistors start to derate at 25C.
In the RF Lab of the world's largest OEM of sealed CO2 Lasers,
we used the MP-series resistors in low power applications.
At 100C, 50% capacity is A LOT to give up. Also important
when developing a load (or anything that needs to dissipate
significant power) is the temperature rise at a given dissipation.
When I developed my forced air DL, I used a LM35DT precision
temperature measurement IC (0.1% accuracy & linearity) to measure
the heatsink temperature between two of the four 400W resistors.

I used a 660W 40.68 MHz RF source. At that power level,
extrapolating to 1500W, I had sufficient overhead.
VSWR is well under 1.5:1 past 50 MHz, as measured on a HP 8711C
network analyzer. I didn't bother sweeping any higher.

vy 73 es gl,

Bryan WA7PRC
Photos & more info: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-dummy