Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Radials how deep is too deep?

To: John V <vjohnv@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Radials how deep is too deep?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 07:59:42 -0800
The K3LC article may yield some help re how to deploy the remaining 1500' of wire.

Re question #3, Rudy Severns did some analysis and experimental work re skin depth in soils, see several articles at antennasbyn6lf.com

A simplistic summary is that below 10MHz, skin depth is a few meters. Since the field strength decays with depth, it seem to me that radials buried "several inches" will be only slightly less effective than on the surface.

IMO, connecting radials to the rebar in concrete slabs and foundations is a good thing. At least you have a very good Ufer ground for lightning and AC line.

The conductivity of concrete varies widely with moisture content, I think there is an earlier post that has some values. For RF conductivity of concrete, it is a bit of a challenge to find data, but with rebar or mesh it likely much better than soil. At the least, with dry concrete you have dry poor soil with embedded radials.

If you can run the wires so that you can measure the RF currents, then you will have some real data on what is working, and what pattern might result.

Grant KZ1W