Re: [TowerTalk] Can?t add egg insulator - options in Cuba forguy line

To: "Chris Wynn" <n4xfa@yahoo.com>, "John V" <vjohnv@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can?t add egg insulator - options in Cuba forguy line
From: "Douglas Ruz \(CO8DM\)" <co8dm@frcuba.co.cu>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:50:21 -0500
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I contacted one of the professional climbers today. That guy has a lot of experience, i think more than 20 years working with AM and TV towers.

He taught me a very interesting tip to tie the guy cable. It is different than "cable serving" mention before that required an special tool.

I will try describe the method here:

He split the end (or begin) of the cable in 2 pieces few feet long...1 piece with 3 strand and the other with 4 strand...then he cross both pieces and then twist it back, so, he twist back the 3 strand piece over the 4 strand piece and vice versa and he made a loop or gauze...then he add the clamps...if the clamps fail for some reason the cable will not fail because it is tie by it self.

They have been using this method plus the clamps for many years with success.

I will try to do a video to explain better this method.

He suggest me, like many in the list, use only one set of guy wires for a 30ft tower. Installing the guy wires about 3 ft above the second section...it is about 23 ft high. My anchor points are 16 ft from the base, it is about 70% of 23 ft and i have 1/4" EHS guy wire. Now, guy lenght are near 28 ft, so, they are not resonant on any of the bands (10, 15 and 20m)

I know my base is not very strong because it is not on the ground with a foundation...it is over a 4" concrete flag roof bolted with 4 threated rods 3/8" about 2 inch inside the concrete...i think i can improve my base adding guy wires from each leg of the tower base to each anchor point.

Merry Xmas !!!

73....Douglas, CO8DM

"No creo que haya alguna emoción más intensa para un inventor que ver alguna de sus creaciones funcionando. Esa emoción hace que uno se olvide de comer, de dormir, de todo." - Nikola Tesla ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wynn via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>